Following a late November incident in Florida, ex-NFL receiver Antonio Brown was no longer charged with battery.
The Hillsborough County state attorney’s office announced the decision to drop the charge on Wednesday. Brown’s arrest warrant was also revoked.
Prosecutors said they’d “determined we couldn’t prove beyond a reasonable doubt a battery occurred.”
On November 28, a woman called police and claimed Brown threw a shoe at her. She thought he was going to hit her in the face with the projectile, but he didn’t. Brown was served with an arrest warrant, but he was never apprehended.
The Hillsborough County attorney’s office interviewed the woman on December 16 as part of its investigation.
“After the alleged victim was sworn in, she recanted her previous allegations regarding Mr. Brown’s intent to strike her or cause her bodily harm,” the office said in a statement. “Cases involving domestic violence are frequently difficult and involve conflicting evidence.”
A judge also denied Brown’s request for a temporary protection order.
Brown, 34, hasn’t played in an NFL game since his dramatic exit from a Tampa Bay Buccaneers game last season. Brown had previously been accused of sexual assault by two women, one of whom claimed he raped her. In either case, no charges were ever brought.